12 December 2014

Feature on Creative - Meet Artist Lara Waldburger

I have a philosophy when buying new stock for The Ruby Orchard... If I wouldn't put it in my own home, I won't put it in the shop... It is that simple!

We don't stock original artwork and this isn't something I have been looking for, but when Lara brought some of her watercolours in to show me I instantly knew it was something I would hang in my home, I know you (our shoppers) are going to LOVE these! 

The seascape and floral watercolours have such vibrant, pretty colours, an abstract twist and are mounted in crisp white frames with wide white mount boards.  We have five going into the shop on Monday! Excited!  Read on to find out more about Lara, the artist behind these beauties! 






Introducing Lara Waldburger


1// Tell us a little bit about yourself

I am blessed to live in the beautiful KZN Midlands with my precious family - my husband, two little boys and i'm expecting a little girl! I absolutely love painting and I always have. I love teaching children art and I run art classes. Taking long walks; devouring a quality novel and sharing a cup of earl grey tea with a special friend ranks highly up there.

 2// When you were younger what did you want to be when you grew up?!

 I wanted to be a teacher like my Standard One teacher, Mrs Horn, and an artist.

 3// What inspires you when painting?

I'm so inspired by natural beauty. Delicate flowers, exquisite landscapes and the sea, oh the sea! I also enjoy painting near my children. As chaotic as it sometimes can seem their energy excites, invigorates and inspires me. We've lived in a temporary, small flat for the past year and I've had no choice but to paint where they play - our dining room table has become my art studio! But they like it and they know to be very careful around mommy's table; I play some Mozart usually, and when I've finished a session they sometimes get to use the leftover of my paint for their own creations at their own table. Their art is the best! Having said that, I am looking forward to my own art space again as of next week when we move to a beautiful, bigger home!

4// What mediums do you work in and why?

I have mostly worked in oils and acrylics - usually on very large canvases, and charcoal; but this year, living in a small space with small little boys I have explored watercolours more avidly, and am smitten. They are sensational.

 5// What are your hopes and dreams for your paintings?

 That my paintings would bring some joy and even a sense of peace and tranquility to hearts; and a reminder of the incredible natural beauty which surrounds us in our beautiful South Africa.

6// Why should our customers buy your paintings?

 I read this quote the other day and it resonated with me. "When you buy something from an artist you're buying more than an object. You're buying hundreds of hours of errors and experimentation's. You're buying years of frustrations and moments of pure joy. You're not just buying one thing, you are buying a piece of a heart, a piece of a soul... a small piece of someone else's soul" As I've said, my favourite theme for my art is that of the natural beauty of nature that surrounds us. Certainly, living where I do, I am very blessed to enjoy such beauty each day, and I'm thankful for that. And I hope that a bit of this transfers to my art, and into many precious and beautiful homes.

7// A little more about you?  What's your - Top Song? Top Food? Top beverage? Top Place? Top movie?

Top song: A Dustland Fairytale by the Killers. Although not my favourite band of all time, I've heard this song sung countless times in my ear by my husband and it is the first one that springs to mind, and warms my heart!
Top food: Sushi.
Top beverage: Champagne of course.
Top place: Cape St Francis in the Eastern Cape.
Top movie: A Tree of Life.

8// And lastly imagine you are heading out for dinner with a bunch of creative geniuses - who would be sitting around the table with you?

Claude Monet; Vincent Van Gogh; Bruce Springsteen; Terrence Malick; my husband, Chris Waldburger; and maybe Jennifer Lawrence and Steve Carrell? These are all just off the top of my head. Not sure how well they'd all combine?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...